Sunday, February 19, 2012

Extreme makeover card edition!

Hello peeps!

Hope all is well!  I'm back with another Valentine's project - made late, posted even later.  This one is for my toddler who loves my cards, but really has no idea when Valentine's day is, so not to worry.  Hopefully you're not all tired of cupid day projects yet :)!

Have you ever made a project that you really were not happy with and torn it all apart to start over?  This card is one of those and I must say, I am much happier with it this time around!  Here was the initial card:


I took everything off (luckily, the glue I was using at the time wasn't very good) and cut the base smaller because I didn't like the spacing.  I kept the butterflies and flowers, which were handmade and stacked some of them together to make them look fuller.  I replaced the image and sentiment with a new one and crocheted a heart doily to add to the mix.  Here is the new card:



Do you think anyone would have remembered it?  It is a completely different card now!


Supplies:

Paper - Bazzil, My Little Shoebox and Making Memories (flowers)
Stamp - Magnolia stamped on 300g watercolour paper with black Stazon and coloured with Distress Inks - antique linen, frayed burlap, scattered straw, forest moss, tattered rose, victorian velvet and watercolour pencil for skin tone.
Tools - Fiskars mini butterfly punch, Forever young cricut cartridge for flowers, Spellbinders Fancy Tags 2, Stampin up leaf die, computer generated sentiment
Other:  Distress stickles rock candy on the wings, pearls and crocheted heart doily.  The base heart pattern I used can be found on the Crochet Geek's blog here and I adapted a border from another doily pattern I had in a magazine.  I added a little fabric starch to stiffen it and make it lay flat.

I know all challenges want new projects only and I think I did enough new work and made a big enough transformation that this card should qualify.  However, if you disagree, please feel free to delete my entry - I do want to play by the rules.  This card was recreated for these challenges:

Top Tip Tuesday - Mystical, Magical and Fantasy

Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to leave a comment.  I do love reading them and I love to be able to visit my visitors.  Have a great week!

Hugs,

Dawn

6 comments:

Elaine Stark said...

This is adorable. I think I would consider this card recycled. Love the crotchet heart. Elaine

Lisa Minckler said...

I have to say that I just loved the image and sentiment on the first card too, but your renovations are amazing! How cool that you can just whip out a crocheted heart so gorgeous like that! I would LOVE to know the pattern for that. :)
Amazing make-over here and I'm in awe!


Thank you so much for playing along with us at Top Tip Tuesday!
Remember you can enter up to 3 projects and 3 tips and don't forget our new Caught Our Eye winner post!
Hugs to you,
Lisa xx

Donna said...

Beautiful card Dawn and so pretty in pink! I love how you have recycled this card and the gorgeous heart doily you have added, a really scrummy card :) Donna ♥ x

Craftdee said...

This is lovely!! It's great that you recycled your card (even though the first cycle wasn't very long, lol) I ADORE that crotched heart... so clever! TFS, Donna

Sassy Scrapper said...

Yup you sure did a make over and it's fabulous. The layout and embellishments are placed perfectly. And OMG you made your own crochet heart. Oh how I would love to make my own crochet flowers I just don't have the nack for it. Your heart came out sooooo beautiful. I love it, you should actually make them to sell. I think people would gobble them up.
Hugs Bonnie

Deneen said...

Great recycled card, I love Tilda she's so sweet. Thanks for joining the Mystical, Magical, Fantasy Challenge at Top Tip Tuesday.