This week has disappeared so quickly! Too bad I cannot say the same of winter and all the snow...
There is a little bit of a love/hate relationship going on with the card I have to show today. It took a few long evenings of work/play to complete, there were lots of mishaps that needed fixing, absolutely nothing on it turned out the way I had envisioned and, I won't lie, it was the source of some Guinness worthy strings of not very nice short words. However, now that it is complete, I am pleased with how it pulled together. I asked my husband if he would buy it for me for my birthday - I just don't want to part with it.
The lovely Tilda with Balloon is stamped on 300g watercolour paper and colored mostly with Ranger Distress inks as follows:
Dress, ribbon, socks - weathered wood and faded jeans
Hair - walnut stain and antique linen
Balloon - fired brick
Boots - walnut stain and pumice stone
Cheeks - tattered rose
Skin - watercolour pencil
The corners were stamped with a Close to my heart stamp using weathered wood and then embossed with clear embossing powder. The edges were then washed with walnut stain and distressed with a distressing tool. Here is a close up of Tilda:
The flowers are all made by hand! I had been wanting to make my own roses for a while now but just never got around to it. So, I have the SSS challenge to thank for these - they were the extra little motivation I needed. How did I make them, you ask? The short answer is with a great deal of difficulty. Oh, you wanted the long answer! It would probably best be shown in a video, but I am just not that technologically advanced, so I will do my best to describe it. I started with 3 die or electronically (or hand, if you are so inclined) cut flowers for each rose. I used a 2 inch 5 petal flower from my Straight from the Nest Cricut Cartridge. When selecting your flower, you want to choose a flower with wide petals. I then marked the centre of each flower with a dot and cut each petal completely off using the dot as a guide. Next I used a toothpick to curl each petal back and sideways and the tip of a pencil to shape the base of it. Have you ever played a video game for so long that your thumb actually hurt from the joystick? This is exactly how my thumb felt after curling 30 petals. Then I rolled a petal into an upside down ice cream cone and glued it using a liquid adhesive. This forms the centre of the rose. Each petal is then wrapped and glued around this cone, one by one and shaped as it is added. Once it is dry, trim the base with a really strong pair of scissors or metal cutters. I then inked the roses with fired brick and sprayed them with shimmer spray. The blue flowers are much simpler - two flowers inked with weathered wood and sprayed with shimmer spray, stacked and curled and some shiny glass beads added for the centres. Close up of the happy shiny flowers:
Ok, so I have no idea why the blogger rotated my picture and I am way too tired to spend the time to figure it out... The ribbon is from my stash and the pretty sparkly brad on the bow is from Magnolia. The edge punch is from Martha Stewart and the papers are from the Winter Time line by Echo Park. All the edges were distressed and the papers were matted with card stock from my stash. The sentiment was computer printed and the tag around it is a stamp from Close to my Heart.
I am entering this card in the following challenges:
Hope you like my card! Thanks for stopping by! And a huge thank you to everyone who has taken the time to leave a comment! I really enjoy reading them!